HomeContact UsThe Texas Lawyers CreedMission StatementE-signing / E-dating OrdersCalendars & SchedulingDaily DocketsCriminal LawIndigent DefenseCivil Law & LitigationFamily LawSelf-Represented LitigantsRules of DecorumCourtroom AmenitiesCourt QuirksMedia PolicyGrand JuryAppointment ListsPublic InterestJudge Chaney's BiographyLinks

This section contains limited information that may assist self-represented (pro se) litigants in common family law matters. The best advice you can get is GET A GOOD LAWYER!

In addition to the information and forms on this site, the State Bar has set up a site for self represented clients at http://www.texascourthelp.org/. You may also wish to see http://www.texaslawhelp.org/ for assistance in obtaining and preparing some of your family law forms.  Also, you may wish to go to http://www.freetexasforms.org/ for assistance.  The Court makes no recommentation on either of those sites and recommends that you seek competent legal assistance with your situation.

Family law is a very complicated area of law.  It covers such matters as divorce, child custody, child support, names change, visitation with children, property and debt division, grandparent access, adoptions and a host of other less common legal issues.  It is important that you understand that if you are representing yourself in these matters you will be at a disadvantage if there is a trained attorney on the other side of your case.  The Rules of Civil Procedure, the Rules of Evidence and all the provisions of the Family Code and other laws will apply to you and your case the same as if you are an attorney.

In other words, the Court is not going to cut you any slack on what you have to do or what you have to prove just because you don’t have a lawyer.  Neither the Judge, the court staff or the folks in the District Clerk’s Office can give you legal advice.  About all they can do is give you the assistance you will find on this web site and get your case properly set.

If you still want to proceed on your own, the information in this section of the web site will give you as much assistance as is allowed.

If you are representing yourself, click on one of the links below for the checklist that you must complete before appearing in court.  There are currently three checklists available to you:  Divorce; Name Change of Adult; and, Name Change of a Child.   Remember, neither the Grimes County District Clerk nor the Court Staff can give you legal advice.  If you have legal questions you should contact a competent attorney to assist you.

Click here for Divorce Checklist

Click here for Adult Name Change Checklist

Click here for Child Name Change Checklist

If you are filing a simple, no-contest divorce you may be eligible to use the set of free forms provided below.  You may use the provided forms only if your divorce is not contested by the other party, there are no children involved, and you have no complicated property issues.  You will also need to get a copy of the Divorce Checklist that is listed above.

Click here for Simple, No-Contest, No-Children Divorce Forms Package

In addition to orders of the court rendered in open court and whether reduced to writing or not, certain Supplemental Temporary Orders will usually be issued and will remain in effect until specifically revoked by written order of this court.  In most cases involving children, the parties will be ordered to obtain internet access and to visit the www.Ourfamilywizard.com website, take the tour by clicking on the Families tab on the main page, and each establishing a parent account to utilize the tools listed in the Services tab.